New reputation system
If the economy expectations goes high, we might just rather give them their own private jet.
(01-16-2019, 02:21 PM)Unknown98 Wrote: No airline in real life serves a 3 course gourmet meal in economy, but if you want to do that in the game, well then go ahead. I don't want to impose artificial limits.

Thank you very much for pointing this out, our supreme commander in chief.
Warning: this is just my personal opinion below, whether you agree with me or anything I don't care.

So what type of airline should we cater to? LCCs? Premium Airlines? Hybrids? Or even Full Service? Honestly it is up to what the game community wants to do. Yes, IRL premium airlines don't exist, but right now airlines are flourishing with 80+% rep (at least that is what it looks like based on the sheer number of airlines at that range of rep), flying to/from the most obscure locations (Like Air Koryo with shocking high rep flying a profitable airline with widebodies from just FNJ), or even spamlines with a shockingly high amount of planes higher than IRL American. Yes, I just don't get it how some of these things work, but the problem is that they do. So at what point do we say this is too much? At what point is it "unrealistic"? Different people would definitely argue for different things, but I feel that Unk should tell us what he intends to set as boundaries. Ultimately I just feel that the best way is to Ensure that everyone country is playable, spamlines are alright (but not ridiculously huge ones) and any model could be done, but this isn't my game, and I would gladly take what the game goes with.
What I do wish to see after all, is that the demand of flights could be better set so that every type of airline has a challenge. I don't like the idea of revolving around a "base price", because honestly market forces determines the equilibrium, not like some random price. Neither do I see the point of having a limit on prices, because what we can have instead is to have some formula where we compare flights on that route, and base on every airline's rep, price, etc, determine the actual demand for that flight. I don't feel like there is a need to set an artificial limit where demand becomes flat 0 because after all, everyone has their preferences. Who is to say you can't ride a flight between Boston and San Francisco in First Class for $45k? If their flight is so superb, so be it right? The dream would be to determine passenger counts based on city popularity, and maybe consider if it is a domestic or international destination, but right now I don't think that coding it is realistic in the short run (I do coding stuff so I have an idea the difficulty for such a large scale).

Really what I want to say is that let regional LCCs work, let Long haul premium airlines work, but could there be a way where we make some of these airlines legit unworkable, such as short haul Low density narrowbody flights? Yes, having no artificial limits is good, but having ridiculous combos to get high rep and high passenger count is of course nonsensical. Just thinking whether there will be a way where competition between airlines is actually something and not just a matter of "who is here and who monopolize the market with 15 flights daily wins"
You say you don't care if we agree and then you ask for our opinion?   Confused

I have a question regarding the overall reputation computation.

My rep. nbrs. are like this: 
Y: 50.5%
Y+: 85.5%
J: 93.4%

My overall rep is 43.9%

How is this number calculated? It seems that the overall reputation is much lower than the individual ones in each class. Or is the fact, that I don't offer F class a big minus?

Many thanks!

stefan
Well if you average your reps including F being 0, you get 57.35. Doesnt look right....your F have to be -53.8. Well that's a horrible service.

I think I generally agree with lolliftw. By the way, I did all of the unrealistic things that you said at some point..I guess that's a shoutout? XD I know that air koryo shouldn't be that big especially with American planes and no russian planes. The problem with any kind of this game/simulator is that we never will be able to figure out the perfect formula of demand or airline operations. So there goes some of the realism we can have. And yeah, Unk should decide on realism.

Also, just a question. I remember that one person was running a small airline with small props. For eg. When a caravan flies from Pittsburg to plattsburgh, the props diesnt really have a good fuel burn, which would result in poor service. Plus there shouldn't be any F J or Y+. Then the rep will go down. Who are you supposed to survive with this airline? Is it possible?
I feel like political restrictions will fix some of these issues - I am actually starting to work on implementing the restrictions today.

The reason for the base price (and the subsequent 3x limit) is to set a threshold for realistic, expected pricing. Without that what is to stop people from charging $30,000 one way for economy on a route with no competition? Or what is to stop two airlines from colluding with each other to fix the prices? (that is an illegal practice, at least in the US).

Sure there may be no competition on a certain route but at a certain point people are simply not willing to pay and will find other means to get to their destination. So that is the reason for the base price. There needs to be some way to determine the absolute maximum a passenger is willing to spend on any given route. Some time ago, before the max price was put into effect, on some high demand routes, you could set a ticket price of $1 million and you would still get 1-2 passengers.

Comparing quality of service between airlines serving a route is not yet worked into the demand formula but it will be eventually. Likely one of the first things I will work on post-reset.
I am the developer of Airline Enterprise
(01-18-2019, 03:40 PM)fsclips Wrote: You say you don't care if we agree and then you ask for our opinion?   Confused

I have a question regarding the overall reputation computation.

My rep. nbrs. are like this: 
Y: 50.5%
Y+: 85.5%
J: 93.4%

My overall rep is 43.9%

How is this number calculated? It seems that the overall reputation is much lower than the individual ones in each class. Or is the fact, that I don't offer F class a big minus?

Many thanks!

stefan

It's not a straight average, it's a weighted average.

eco: 35%
prem: 30%
bus: 20%
first: 15%

multiply the reputation in each class by those weights and then add it up.

(01-18-2019, 04:24 PM)sfk Wrote: Well if you average your reps including F being 0, you get 57.35. Doesnt look right....your F have to be -53.8. Well that's a horrible service.

I think I generally agree with lolliftw. By the way, I did all of the unrealistic things that you said at some point..I guess that's a shoutout? XD I know that air koryo shouldn't be that big especially with American planes and no russian planes. The problem with any kind of this game/simulator is that we never will be able to figure out the perfect formula of demand or airline operations. So there goes some of the realism we can have. And yeah, Unk should decide on realism.

Also, just a question. I remember that one person was running a small airline with small props. For eg. When a caravan flies from Pittsburg to plattsburgh, the props diesnt really have a good fuel burn, which would result in poor service. Plus there shouldn't be any F J or Y+. Then the rep will go down. Who are you supposed to survive with this airline? Is it possible?

It should still be doable, I think the biggest problem with the small prop planes like caravans is the maintenance costs making them impossible to generate a profit. Something that needs to be worked on. I actually dont' remember if I ever addressed that, I need to look at it again and see what the costs are for prop planes.
Speak of small planes, will we ever have a helicopter?
I don't see why not
Yay. I might put a F class bed in there with few Y seats to transport emergency passengers.